Heart Burn!! Know more before it affects your health
Heartburn is the feeling of burning sensation in the middle of the chest mostly behind the sternum, which can also reach the back of the mouth causing burning and strange taste as well as bad breath. Atypical symptoms also include chest pain, recurrent pneumonia, bronchitis, sleep apnea, voice changes. These atypical symptoms can cause delayed diagnoses and lead to complication.
GERD can be related to excessive acid secretion and gastritis, but it is usually as a result of poor control of the one-way junction valve of the esophagus and the stomach which allow the stomach acid to come back into the esophagus and irritate the tissue which does not tolerate the acidity. This is called Gastro-esophagus reflux Disease (GERD).
It is almost mechanical issues which control the severity and frequency of the symptoms, for example bending forwards increase the pressure in the abdomen and increase the reflux. Also lying flat will cancel the gravity effects and allow more reflux.
The symptoms of GERD can be severe and out of control with simple medication. As the case become more chronic, pain can also develop due to the ongoing irritation which can lead to ulceration (destruction of the protective superficial layer). The body will be trying to heal the lesion by inflammation process, which leads to scarring, and excessive scarring can lead to difficulty swallowing. Sometimes vomiting can occur and can be associated with some blood and ulceration.
1. Increased pressure inside the abdomen cavity like in obesity, pregnancy and huge meals.
2. Causes of a hiatus hernia which disturb the function of the junction valve.
3. Alcohol, smoking, and some medication can also affect the function of the muscular junction of the esophagus and stomach.
4. Stress can be an augmenting factor in presence of the above, but we do not believe the stress of being an isolated cause.
- Heart Burn and GERD
- 7 Things Which You Should Avoid To Prevent GERD
- What Does Heartburn (GERD) Feel Like
- Heart Burn!! Know More Before It Affects Your Health
- Can Acid Reflux Or (GERD) Treat Only With Medications?
- Can Acid Reflux Or Heartburn Be Treated With Diet And Lifestyle Changes?
- How Does Stretta Treat GERD?
- It Is Important To Choose Hospital You Can Trust Your Health
- Non-Surgical GERD Treatment, Know The Benefits Of The Procedure