7 Important things you need to know about Cosmetic Gynecology
1. What is the purpose of labiaplasty?
Labiaplasty surgery is designed to remove the extra tissue of the elongated labia minora (the inner vaginal lips), to give relief from the physical and emotional discomfort feeling.
2. How long does it take to recover from labiaplasty?
Usually, you can get back to work within 5 days, but it takes about 2-4 weeks to return to your active lifestyle and fitness, the wound needs 6-8 weeks before the scars are strong enough to return to sexual intercourse.
3. How do you know if you need a labiaplasty?
Women who needs labiaplasty are:
- Ladies having discomfort while sitting, wearing fitting clothing, exercising, or during intercourse.
- Ladies who are conscious due to their labial size and appearance.
- Ladies having labial tears resulting from childbirth.
- Ladies having enlarged labia minora and seeking for cosmetic enhancement.
4. Does labiaplasty need general anesthesia?
Most of labiaplasty surgeries are done under local anesthesia which shortens the time of surgery, decrease the bleeding, and then patient won’t need to stay in the hospital and can leave after short rest.
5. How is labiaplasty done?
Two techniques for labiaplasty: The trim labiaplasty and the wedge labiaplasty.
To choose the better technique, you should discuss with your doctor the advantages and disadvantages of each technique and which is more appropriate from your case.
6. Common questions:
- How long does it take to get back to my activities after surgery?
Usually, you can get back to work within 5 days, but it takes about 2-4 weeks to return to your active lifestyle and fitness. Also, the wound needs 6-8 weeks before the scars are strong enough to return to sexual intercourse.
- What about swelling and itching after surgery?
Swelling is common in the recovery period of labiaplasty. It peaks at 2-3 days after surgery and then subsides gradually. Bedrest and ice packs after the surgery minimize swelling. Itching is also common in the first week as healing of the wound is going on but if itching persists, you should follow-up with your doctor that it could be a sign of yeast or bacterial infection.
- What helps to speed up the wound healing?
- Minimize activity after surgery.
- Use cooling pads to reduce swelling, itching, and discomfort.
- Wear loose fit cotton clothing.
- Take your medications as prescribed by the doctor to minimize your pain.
7. 10 Things to keep in mind within recovery from labiaplasty:
- Labiaplasty is a surgery performed on a sensitive area so you might experience dome discomfort to mild pain which is relieved by the medication given by your doctor.
- Swelling and bruising are common after surgery and subsiding gradually within a few weeks.
- Itching is common within the healing process of the wound.
- If you experience discomfort with urination, try to pass the urine with running warm water.
- Keep the area clean and dry.
- Wear loose fitting underwear and clothing to minimize discomfort.
- Avoid using tampons during recovery.
- You must abstain from sexual intercourse for 6 weeks.
- usually return wot work within 2-5 days but full recovery will take 4-6 months to be completed.
- Be patient, follow your doctor’s instructions.