Stapes removal or stapedectomy is rather good procedure, helps removing the stapes bone and improving hearing. Though with enough benefits after the procedure, few patients face adverse issues thus suggest avoiding it. Here I go with few reason that speaks worth to avoid stapedectomy.
However, the technique is not safest possible way thereby risk is associated along with! Few patients experience worse after stapedectomy.
- Deafness: The procedure could cause complete deafness of the operated ear.
- Permanent dizziness: In few cases, stapedectomy makes a person permanent dizziness. In some cases, surgery makes irritative response in the balancing never. For few patients, it takes several weeks for dizziness to go away.
- Ringing or buzzing noes: Though, it is performed to remove stapes and improve hearing but it can also cause permanent ringing or buzzing noise around the operated ear.
- Facial paralysis: Due to absence of protective bone on the facial nerve, stapedectomy procedure causes facial paralysis. It can paralyze patient’s face muscles on the operation side.
So, is there any alternative choice for the procedure?
- Stapedotomy is modified version of the stapedectomy which is followed as alternative method of treatment. Furthermore, many healthcare company states that the modified version is safer than earlier one. Stapedotomy reduces postsurgical complications which could experience by 5% of patients.