Breast Abscess - DRHC Dubai Breast Clinic
Breast Abscess is a painful lump filled with pus as a result of breast infection (mastitis). Usually, the abscess is superficial but can extend deep within the breast. It is more common in lactating women (lactational mastitis)
- Breast abscesses can develop in anyone, typically with smoking and obesity
- Also, it occurs in cracked, dry nipples, clogged milk ducts, tattooing, and nipple piercing.
- Abscess presents as a painful, warm, flushed lump, sometimes pus nipple discharge
- You may feel generally unwell, fever, headache, nausea, fatigue
Treatment of Breast Abscess
- Diagnosis with breast clinical examination and ultrasound.
- Withdrawal of pus from the lump helps a lot with symptom resolution.
- Antibiotics will be prescribed, also pain-killer and anti-fever medication.
- A follow-up ultrasound to confirm the complete resolution of the abscess.
- Moisturize your nipples to avoid breast infection/abscess.