Are taste disorders common ?
Taste disorders are:
Defined as Reduced or dis ability to taste sweet, sour, bitter, or salty things.
Type of Taste disorders
- Hypogeusia, a reduced ability to taste sweet, sour, bitter, salty,
- Dysgeusia is a condition in which a foul, salty, or metallic taste sensation
- Ageusia is the completely loss to detect any tastes,
- Some people who complaining of sense of taste are experiencing a loss of smell instead of a loss of taste.
- Using hot , spicy ,or variety food mixture may reduce the experience of the taste disorders
Are the taste disorders common ?
15 % of the people are suffering from taste reduction, but most of them seek doctors help, as well as so many are confused between taste and smell disorder
Cause of Taste problems
- Congenital: it is rare to be born by taste disability
- Upper respiratory tract infection can affect the smell sense
- Middle ear infection; because the small nerve which transfer the taste sense (corda tympani) pass intra tympanic cavity
- The head and neck radiotherapy, affect the The taste buds on the tongue
- Certain chemicals exposure , antibiotics and other medication can reduce the taste ability head trauma
- Some type of surgery to the ear, nose, and throat, may affect the taste
- Poor oral hygiene, and dental problems.
- Most cases of taste disorders are curable when the underlying cause is diagnosed and treated.